What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cleveland Marathon Training - Week 3: Cold Weather Running


The cold weather finally settled in here in Cleveland which made for some real winter running.  The worst was Tuesday.  I think it was about 10 degrees for that run.  It took a little while to get used to breathing the cold air but the rest of me actually felt ok with the cold.  I actually like running on the snow since it's lower impact and it adds some resistance, which is win win in my opinion.  Also, as long as you stay dry and take care to limit your amount of exposed skin you can get pretty warm.  Even on Tuesday I was really only cold for the first mile.  Naturally, paces were slower this week due to the aforementioned snow.  The exception was Sunday's tempo run where I eschewed the sidewalk and just ran directly on the road, since I wanted to be able to keep track of my pace.

This week's runs:

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 4.8 miles (9:20 pace)

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 5.67 miles (8:34 pace)

Friday: 6.81 miles (9:41 pace)

Saturday: 7.84 miles (9:00 pace)

Sunday: Tempo Run - Same 1.09 mile loop as before but this time I went for four laps.  My goal is still to run 6:30 per loop (5:58 pace).  My splits were 6:29, 6:33, 6:31, and 6:27.  So this time I was able to pace it much better and stay fairly consistent on my splits.  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was 6.4 miles.

Total mileage: 31.5 miles

Stay warm out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment