What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cleveland Marathon Training Week 5: Getting into the Routine

I feel like I've finally settled into a routine for this training cycle.  I now have a post run regime that I go through which includes stretching, icing and a snack.

I use these cold packs I got at CVS to ice my feet after runs

My typical post run snack is a cup of greek yogurt and a glass of chocolate milk


The mileage is starting to pick up and I'm feeling stronger.  I'm definitely excited that next week will be my first race for this cycle (Chili Bowl Classic 5k).  Right now my goal is just to break 17.  Hopefully, it will be a good indicator of how my training is progressing.

This week's runs:

Monday: 6.81 miles (9:28 pace)

Tuesday: 10.65 miles (9:03 pace)

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: Tempo Run - 5x 1.09 mile loop = 5.45 miles.  My goal is still to run 6:30 per loop (5:58 pace).  Splits were 6:38, 6:29, 6:35, 6:42, 6:39.  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was 7.49 miles.  A sloppy workout as I was above goal pace for all but one lap.  At least I didn't fall off the pace too badly.  I realized this week that this was actually the first time in my life that I've ever ran hard for more then 5 miles!  When I looked at it from that perspective it wasn't such a bad workout :)

Friday: Rest Day (went to see Les Miserables at the Palace Theatre!)

Saturday: 7.84 miles (7:57 pace)

Sunday: 4.8 miles (8:28 pace)

Total mileage: 37.6 miles

Do you have a routine that you follow after your runs?  What is your favorite post run snack?

3 comments:

  1. you're mileage is picking up! Hope it's been an easy transition to higher mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite post-run snack is Chobani, too! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chocolate milk for a recovery drink! And I wish I were as close to goal pace on my reps...

    ReplyDelete