What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cleveland Marathon Training Week 7: The Flu

The night before Chili Bowl I was already starting to not feel well, and although I felt ok for the race, I progressively got worse throughout the weekend and on Sunday night I had a fever of 102.3.  It was the Flu.     This meant no running on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.  When I came back however, I felt pretty good and Saturday's tempo run was probably my best workout of this training cycle so far.

This week's runs:

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 6.81 miles (8:22 pace)

Friday: 10.65 miles (8:22 pace, somehow I ran the exact same pace two days in a row)

Saturday: Tempo Run - 5x 1.09 mile loop = 5.45 miles.  My goal is still to run 6:30 per loop (5:58 pace).  Splits were 6:35, 6:29, 6:31, 6:35, 6:25.  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was 7.49 miles.  I felt much more in control for this run than I did the last time.  If it wasn't for a slightly slow first lap, and some laziness on the fourth lap this one would have been perfect.  This was the first workout this cycle that I felt really good about.

Sunday: 5.67 miles (8:55 pace)

Total mileage: 30.6 miles

The plan going forward is to increase mileage into the 40's and do two workouts per week (one hills and one tempo) as well as increase the distance of my long runs.

Happy Running!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are feeling better and the flu didn't knock you out for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about the flu, but recovered in 3 days? wow, you're lucky! I wouldn't have been up for a tempo workout. Hope the mileage increase progresses well.

    ReplyDelete