What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cleveland Marathon Training Weeks 8-10: Intermission

I have been very busy with grad school lately so I've been behind on my training posts.  Here is a quick recap of the last three weeks:

Week 8:

Monday: Hill workout - 5x 1 mile hill circuit.  1.5 mile warmup and cool down for 7 miles total.

Tuesday: 4.8 miles (8:27 pace)

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 12.88 miles (7:46 pace)

Friday: 6.81 miles (8:16 pace)

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: Tempo Run - 5x 1.09 mile loop = 5.45 miles.  My goal is still to run 6:30 per loop (5:58 pace).  Splits were 6:54, 7:01, 7:16, 6:55, 6:50.  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was 7.49 miles.  It was cold, snowy and windy so the times were slow.  Nonetheless, I got in 5+ miles of hard running and actually managed to pick up the pace a little on the last two loops, so overall it was ok.

Total mileage: 40 miles


Week 9:

Monday: 6.81 miles (7:52 pace)

Tuesday: 4.8 miles (8:27 pace)

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 7.84 miles (8:16 pace)

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 12.88 miles (7:23 pace)

Sunday: Tempo Run - 3x 1.09 mile loop = 3.27 miles.  My goal is still to run 6:30 per loop (5:58 pace).  Splits were 6:28, 14:05 for the last two (forget to hit "split" after the second one).  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was 5.31 miles.  Was supposed to be longer but my legs were pretty shot after the previous day's long run so I decided not to push it.

Total mileage: 32.8 miles


Week 10:

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 4.8 miles (no pace, didn't bother to time it)

Wednesday: Rest Day

Thursday: 4.22 miles, did a small fartlek (4x 1 min hard with 2-3 min rest in between) to get the legs ready for Saturday's race

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: St. Malachi 5 Miler my time was 28:09.  Total distance with warmup and cooldown was about 8 miles

Sunday: Rest Day

Total mileage: 17 miles

For the past few weeks I had been having some pain in my tibias (both of them) that I fear might be the beginnings of a stress fracture.  I made it a goal for this year to be more cautious about injuries so I'm going to play it safe with this one and take several weeks off from running.  I still plan to run the marathon.  Hopefully everything will be better in a few weeks and I'll be able to resume training.



No comments:

Post a Comment