What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k Training: Week 6

Polar vortex part 2 came through Cleveland this week and brought with it another round of subzero weather.  Once again I refused to let it stop me from getting outside.  I even managed to double up on Tuesday, which was the coldest day of all.  It was very very cold, an I did have an unfortunate mishap that morning.  I was careless about my attire and had a small gap between my tights and my sock and, 5 miles later, frostbite.  Nothing too serious but it was a sobering reminder of how dangerous the cold temperatures can be.

But it wasn't all bad.

This week was record breaking in a number of ways.  Tuesday morning's run was officially the coldest temperature I've ever run in (-9 according to weather.com) narrowly beating out the previous low set three weeks earlier of -8.  Thursday's long run was the first double digit run since last March and with the 5 miler in the morning, it was my highest single day total ever!  And finally, my total of 62.2 miles for the week is my highest weekly mileage ever and my first time in the 60's!  Who need's warm weather anyway?

I was supposed to do another set of 150's on Saturday but was foiled by an indoor track meet at Case.  I went and did 3 outside instead and felt really good.  Saturday's rain washed all the snow/ice off the sidewalks so it was my first chance in a while to really run fast.  Too bad it snowed again last night leaving the sidewalks covered with another 3 inches of snow.  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

As for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, there were a few big announcements this week.  The biggest being that the course will now focus entirely on the west side of town.  It was my understanding that the 2nd half of the course (the east side) had been pretty much a deadzone so this is a welcome development.  The course itself, along with the location of the start/finish, is still being finalized so stay tuned for that.

Lastly, this week began a series of free race entry giveaways that will last until the middle of March.  Free entries for the race of your choice are being raffled off on Michelle's (ends 2/7), Stephanie's (ends 2/9), and Karen's (ends tomorrow!) blogs.  There will be a steady stream of free entry giveaways from the various official bloggers (mine will be the last one in mid-March) so you will have many chances to win!

This weeks runs:

Monday: AM - 5 mi easy
               PM - 4.4 mi tempo, 6.4 mi total

Tuesday: AM - 5 mi easy
               PM - 6.8 mi easy

Wednesday: 5 mi easy

Thursday: AM - 5 mi easy
                PM - 10.7 mi easy

Friday: AM - 5 mi easy
            PM - 5.4 mi easy

Saturday: AM - 4.8 mi easy
               PM - 3.1 mi easy

Sunday: rest day

Total: 62.2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment