What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k Training: Week 8

It was an exciting week as I near the end of my "Summer of Malmo."  On Monday we had a meet-up for the Cleveland Marathon Bloggers.  We got some pretty cool swag which included our official blogger t-shirts:

Oh no! I blinked!
The rest of the week was pretty standard except for Saturday, when I went for my longest run since college!  It narrowly edged out my 12.85 miler from last year.  Although I don't have a way to directly compare, I feel like I'm in much better shape now than I was at this time last year.

And now for the obligatory paragraph about the weather:

It wasn't quite as bad this week!  Still some cold morning runs but overall better than the last couple of weeks.  And this coming week looks to be even better.  We might even get some melt-off.  Maybe Spring is right around the corner!  Haha, probably not.  But at least we can enjoy this brief respite from the cold.

This week I will be running at the Kent State Tune-up.  I'm excited and nervous.  Excited to see what kind of shape I'm in and to race on the track for the first time since high school, but nervous because the competition there will be very tough.

There are still many opportunities to win a free entry to the race of your choice at the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon.  There are currently giveaways going on at GoRunJess (ends tomorrow at midnight!) and the Frolicking Fells (ends Friday).  Also Jamie will be starting her giveaway this week.

This weeks runs:

Monday: AM - 5 mi easy
               PM - Blogger Meet-up!

Tuesday: 5 mi easy

Wednesday: 5 mi easy

Thursday: AM - 5 mi easy
                PM - 5.5 mi tempo, 7.5 mi total

Friday: AM - 5 mi easy
            PM - 7.8 mi easy

Saturday: AM - 12.9 mi long run
               PM - 4.8 mi easy

Sunday: rest day

Total: 58.0 miles

2 comments:

  1. With how well your training is going, you could easily run a better half marathon or even marathon time with what you're doing. For the 10k, less mileage and more speed work/drills would be the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention this. My next post is going to be about how my training is going to shift in the coming weeks to ramp up the intensity. Right now I'm looking at 6 weeks of hill work and then 6 weeks of race specific track workouts leading up to the 10k.

      Delete