What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k Training: Week 9

This was the last week of my Summer of Malmo plan, and I capped it off with my first race of the year!  At this point I feel like I'm as strong aerobically as I have ever been.  I'm doing more mileage than ever before (this week was another PR!) and, more importantly, I'm healthy!  Saturday's race, though, was a real kick in the butt.  I still have a lot of work to do to be able to race fast.

With that being said, this week I begin the next phase of my training: hills!  With snow melting off of Hogsback it is time to get back to doing hill work.  The goal is to maintain the tempos and long runs I have been doing while adding in a hill workout once a week to work on strength and speed.  After that, I'll be doing more race-specific workouts on the track and my weekends will be more occupied with track meets and road races.  I'm really excited to see what I'll be able to do in the next 12 weeks!

And this week was a big one for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon: the course maps have been released!  This year's race will focus more on the west side where crowd support has historically been much stronger.  Also, a significant portion of the course is out and back along Lake Ave. going through the Edgewater district, Lakewood, and Rocky River.  This effectively doubles the crowd support!  The 10k course looks like it should be pretty fast.  The most difficult part will likely be the long gradual uphill on the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge.

Finally, there are more giveaways this week!  Jamie and Heather will be giving area raffling off free race entries to the race of your choice!

This weeks runs:

Monday: AM - 5 mi easy
               PM - 5.5 mile tempo, 7.5 mi total

Tuesday: 5 mi easy

Wednesday: 5 mi easy

Thursday: AM - 5 miles easy
                PM - Fartlek: 9x(2 min hard, 2 min easy) 7.5 mi total

Friday: AM - 5 mi easy
            PM - 7.5 mi easy

Saturday: AM - 4.8 mi easy
               PM - Kent State Tune Up 3k - 9:52 - 5 mi total

Sunday: AM - 4.8 mi easy
             PM - 5.7 mi easy

Total: 67.7 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment