What was the secret? They wanted to know, in a thousand different ways they wanted to know THE SECRET. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his running shoes. - John L. Parker

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Rite Aid Cleveland 10k Training: Week 13

This week I was in Dallas for the American Chemical Society spring meeting.  Ironically, after never resorting to the treadmill during one the most brutal winters I can remember, I finally had to use the treadmill when I was in Dallas of all places.  But that's the price you pay for safety and I wasn't going to risk running alone at night in a city I'm not familiar with.  Tuesday's tempo run was awful.  I really don't know how the treadmill people do it.  I was originally going to go for 6-7 miles but I just had to stop at 5.  It was so boring and tedious.  Also, my right foot was pretty sore from Malachi and I think the hill workout on Thursday kinda aggravated it to so I didn't double on Friday and went for a relatively short long run on Saturday.  Hopefully I will be able to get the mileage back up in the next week or two.

There is still time to enter Beal's free race entry giveaway!  My own giveaway will start once his has finished so check back on Tuesday for that!

Hard to believe it but it's only 8 weeks until the Rite Aid Cleveland 10k!

This week's runs:

Monday: 3.5 mi easy
           
Tuesday: AM - 5.25 mi easy
              PM - 5 mi tempo, 7 mi total

Wednesday: AM - 5.25 mi easy
                    PM - 6 mi easy

Thursday: Hill workout - 4x 1 mile hill circuit, 7.5 mi total

Friday: 5 mi easy

Saturday: 10.7 mi long run

Sunday: rest day

Total: 50.2 miles

2 comments:

  1. HATE treadmill workouts/runs. I once did a 13 mile long run on the treadmill in high school after we were hit with a huge ice storm... I fell straight on my face the second I stepped off that thing! How did you run your tempo? Do you like to run a steady pace for each mile or cut down every mile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to cut down the pace after the first two miles but it was wearing me down too much so I had to revert back to the original pace for the 4th and 5th miles. When I do tempos on the road I feel like I am slowly getting faster throughout, but that is just based on feel. I don't use a watch on my tempo runs so I never really know my pace exactly.

      Delete